10.07.2005

reflecting...

my boss asked me to call the girl that is most likely replacing me this february and answer whatever questions she might have. as i was talking about my role and the relationships i have with the girls i was overwhelmed (again) with how much i LOVE what i do. on a small mountainside i live with a house full of girls that have seen me at my best, worst and all the in-betweens and still love me. i've seen a handful of students come here lost and lifeless and return home with purpose and hope. God's formed a family for me here through crisis, holidays, pico, transitions, care group and housetrips. i've been hurt, healed, humbled, challenged, lifted up, fed and housed. i've witnessed marriages, births, deaths, conversions and baptisms. the morning sunrises and stars at night still take my breath away. it's been 20 months and i feel 5 years older with experience and 5 years younger in the joy of my salvation. i've struggled for stability in this continually changing environment and amongst such differing staff dynamics, but i've realized my one foundation: God is good. it's cliche, but through all the "chaos" of life at Escuela Caribe i've learned that his pursuit of our passion is not like flowers, chocolates and sweet-nothings, but the gift of difficult circumstances that will reveal our wretchedness so that we'd cry out to be clothed in his righteousness. before coming here i thought i had a clue about "godly living"...ha! i can't believe all i'm not. every month here gives me a new reason to stand in awe of his grace that floods this broken cistern.

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie B said...

I adore the comment you wrote about "his pursuit of our passion" not always being found in the romantic notions, but in the hard things of life that make us really admit our need for Him. I understand this so well right now as I'm sure you do on a daily basis. I love you girl--hang in there. Often God brings us all over the world to change us the most.

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come to Athens. We have 3 bedrooms. I promise to help you continue to work on your challenges...
Josh

10:50 PM  
Blogger Expert Village said...

So, 5 years, minus the-joy-of-your-salvation years, minus any hours you’ve spent watching scary movies, then add the other regular yearse that you’ve already had under your belt since birth, tack on a couple more to account for any margin of error…and that brings us to, let’s see, that’s close to your actual age in doggie years, which has got to be like 3 years old.

But seriously, who gets to live on a mountain and experience all of that stuff? Not many.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home