2.14.2006

reflection

i find myself in the same exact place i was last year on valentine's day - it was cold and raining and i was on QR duty. it's a good thing this isn't my favorite holiday. therefore, because this day is nothing exceptional to the next, and the only way i've observed it as a holiday at all was to eat chocolate for breakfast and wear my hot pink rain boots, i would like to take the time to reflect on how drastically different my life in the dominican is - the difference that in three weeks time i will be mourning.

  1. it's quiet in my head. the latin culture is by no means serene- loud music is often blaring well into the night - but if i turn my translator to "off" i can pass by dozens of people in a day and hear nothing but my own thoughts.
  2. to be healthy is dirt cheap. americans have certainly created a monstrous industry (including style, vacation plans, professions, literature, chatrooms and the like) built around taking care of ourselves. here, to step outside my door it to take a hike either up or down, and i can purchase a weeks' worth of fruits and vegetables under five bucks.
  3. ministry is inescapable. it literally propels my butt off the couch. i have to hang up the phone. i can't stay up late or sleep late. i don't drink that or smoke those. i've got 9 valuable reasons to deny myself, and i love it.
  4. community is vital. i have to cry. i have to face conflict. i have to pray. and when it costs so much to call the states, you begin to break down, work through conflict and petition God with the person next to you who is breaking down, working through conflict and petitioning God. inadvertently a family is formed.

6 Comments:

Blogger Expert Village said...

I know five bucks at Whole Foods might get you a whole bannana or something. Geez. Bring some bannanas back. Enjoy your countdown to America.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love how much u cared for us...though u were never with me in the qr...as i was only in teh qr once and it wasnt cause i was being a butt..but ur dedication be it ur job, duty, ur beleifs is just inspiring. and yes in leaving the dr it is "mourning" as u put it. it was the last time that i cried...when the plane took off. its not easy to not kno when ur coming back to the place where i called home.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking through old pictures made me wonder what you've been up to, so I googled your name. I'm so glad to see you are doing great things with your life! Oh, and that picture?

http://i1.tinypic.com/nwkef7.jpg

12:07 AM  
Blogger Autumn Rogers said...

gloria?!!?

email me: aut_g_rog@yahoo.com

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, looking in from the outside of the community there makes us miss it more and more. Can't be recreated or understood by anyone who hasn't been there. We love you and look forward to reconnecting soon. --Josh & Tammy

5:42 PM  
Blogger Peter Schott said...

hey your blog is working again!

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home